Browsed by
Kategorie: 40k

Kill Team Scenery

Kill Team Scenery

Hobby time during the last three days was spent completely on Kill Team scenery. Everything I own, besides of the items from the Kill Team Arena box, was still on sprue, left to build and paint in the boxes: buildings and ruins from the Sector Fronteris box, the Servo Haulers from the Ork starter box, Krogskull’s Boys, and (Surprise! Surprise!) a Wall of Martyrs from the Tau starter box, Advance Team Starpulse.

The Sector Fronteris worked out quite nicely and will also be useful in Star Wars: Legion games. I like especially the rusty main colour, originally Army Painter Fur Brown spray.

The Servo Haulers are not finished yet. They were given only a black primer with another basecoat of Team Yankee Chieftain Green. I guess I will take my time to paint these because I really started to like them while building. With some special rules they can bring a lot of fun in scenarios. But why did I use this colour?

Unfortunately I had two cans of the Chieftain Green and both are leaky as you can see from the pictures.

I already had this problem with other brands and it’s not a question of age. I have much older cans which are still tight. Whatever, I have to use them up as quickly as possible and so I used the spray on the haulers and the wall. In the end, I think, the colour is not bad at all as it brings a dirty look of decay with it

The Wall of Martyrs is not a piece that I fancy at all. Too many skeletons and awkward iconography that are so… well, 40K! But someone left that literally at my door step and ran away. I thought about selling or just dumping it but in the end I decided otherwise. Let see what I can make of it.

Side mission…

Side mission…

The last few weeks I managed to built and paint the scenery items from the Warhammer 40.000 Kill Team Arena box. Not a very exciting project but it’s nice to see some things getting done quickly.

The whole set plus two boxes on the left.

The whole set consists of 8 Promethium/oil barrels, 2 plasma barrels, 12 big and 8 smaller boxes, 2 industrial pipes and 10 doors. Two additional boxes seen in the picture are from the Sector Fronteris box.
Instead of the colourful schemes shown in the Arena rulebook, I used rather dull and dirty colours which, to my mind, fit the 40k-atmosphere much more. This way, I hope, they will also fit with other games like Special Ops or Zona Alfa without looking completely out of place.

Barrels and boxes to take cover behind.

The main aim was to get things done quickly. The industrial tubes got a basecoat of Army Painter Platemail spray followed by Army Painter Quickshade Strong tone… something that I didn’t use in years.

More cover.

The doors were basecoated with Army Painter German Grey spray, followed by Army Painter Quickshade Soft tone. First I wanted to finish at this point but I added some details for contrast.

Watch out what’s behind, Phil!

Of course the doors are crying for even more details like blood smears or bullet holes on them but I keep that for a later date.
Though not a demanding paintjob, these pieces will add lots of depth and detail to a battleboard. For now I call this side project finished as there are too many other things in the making.

Broken promise… for the Greater Good

Broken promise… for the Greater Good

Some years ago I promised myself not to paint any more miniatures for other people. Now this promise was broken. The reason I promised this anyway was that it took me too much time to paint other people’s stuff while my own projects accumulated on the pile of shame. Nevertheless, now I painted these XV25s for a friend of mine. So, why did I do this:

  1. He is one of my best friends and it’s for his birthday.
  2. It gave me the opportunity to try out GW’s new Contrast paints.
  3. I hope I can convince my mate that it is so easy to paint Vior’la Taus with Contrast paints that he starts to paint them for Kill Team himself. (Canny little ba…d, I am!)

I don’t really know what to think about the result. On the one hand it’s very easy to do in a short amount of time on the other hand the standard method produces much better results. Maybe it’s better not to look at individual figures but to imagine them as a whole unit on table top. For now it’s ok and maybe I will add some details and highlights later. Another ‚first‘ is the bases. Here I used one of the „Acrylic muds“ from MIG. The result is really good but I don’t know why it should be any better than the one’s from Vallejo or GW.

Nice story about how I got hand on these figures. At the end of last year I took part in my first scale modelling exhibition as a participant (Maple Leaf Bühl, Baden-Württemberg) where I met a Canadian guy who also was in 40k. There he sold some of his stuff along with the XV25s in a battered box but everything on sprue… for 10€. Happy with the deal I took it as a later present for my friend. Now  I decided to paint them up as I already had all the necessary paints on my shelf.